Monday 25 April 2011

Rast dresser hack- makeover

It all started with the old, ugly dresser that we had in the kitchen. The drawers were starting to fall off and after one of them fell on my foot, we knew it was time to say farewell. We wanted a small little dresser, that we could put a couple of extra things in, and we needed it to be small and cheap.
I loved how Barbara's Rast dresser makeover looked over on hodge podge blog, and also the Rast makeover that Lindsay and Aubrey did.  So I thought for a solid wood little dresser, that maybe we should buy a Rast. So we did. I wasn't sure where to start, but from all our tack experience (you know, our diy colette headboard, tack monogram), we should go tacky. Well, we decided to use tacks, that is.

After we assembled the Rast, we used 100 grit sand paper to sand over it lightly.
I used an oil based primer to cover the whole dresser. Don't forget to paint the inside strip, because part of it will show when the drawers are in. If you feel that the wood is too rough after you primed it, you can use sand paper to sand it lightly. ( I didn't sand the Rast in the beginning and found it quite rough, but then I used 100 grit sand paper and it made a huge difference.)
After that, I painted it with some leftover white paint. I did about 4 coats, but that depends on how much you want to cover the grain of the wood.
Picked a design and printed it. Cut out a pattern. Lightly drew the pattern onto the wood with a pencil.
Start hammering the tacks in. You might want to use something for your ears. It can get loud.
Taa daa...here it is. The final product. 

I am sorry that I cannot share a picture of where it ended up, yet, as I am redoing my kitchen and will post pictures next week of my finished dresser in its new location. So, what do you think? Do you like it? 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I have always wanted to try this idea, I love the pattern you've created on your dresser!
    ~ Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes, that is fantastic Beatrice! I will have to do another Rast round-up again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also put a link up on my Facebook page!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hodgepodge/175304195838969

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate- Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I am so glad you like it.

    Barbara- Thanks. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I also really liked yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so great. I've been thinking of trying this as well. Maybe yours will inspire me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...