This is a very quick, easy and delicious soup, that I make quite often. My baby loves it. He was going through a picky eating phase, but he never refused this soup.
I decided I would try one that didn't have too many ingredients and wasn't too complicated. I found a potato and leek soup on the Martha Stewart website, but this is my version of the soup. Hope you like it!
Potato and Leek Soup
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil
half an onion, cut into tiny bits
3-4 leeks, cut into 1 inch slices (use just the the white-ish parts, not the green parts)
5-6 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 L chicken or vegetable broth
a few leaves of parsley
2-3 bay leaves
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
-Tie a little bundle of parsley and bay leaves in some cheesecloth, and set aside for the moment.
- Put the oil and butter in a pot, and on medium heat, saute the onions a little (don't let brown).
- Add the leeks into the pot, and cook for about 10 minutes, but do not let brown (reduce heat, if necessary).
- Add the potatoes, chicken/vegetable broth, and the bundle of parsley and bay leaves to the soup.
- Cook for 40- 50 minutes, at a medium boil. You are done when the potatoes are soft.
- Use a hand mixer to blend it. You can also use a sieve or food mill.
- Mix in the milk and heavy cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Voila! That's it. You can serve it with croutons, baguette, biscuits. It tastes really good and looks pretty yummy, no?
Give it a shot. I hope you try it!
Wishing you a marvelous day and have a great weekend!