Wednesday 17 August 2011

My new pal, Singer!

If you have been reading some of my posts, you know I love pillows and color. What you might not know, is that I cannot sew. My grandmother and mom know how to sew, but they never got around to teaching me how. We even had a sewing machine, but my grandmother always had bigger projects and we just never got around to it. Anyhow, here is a picture of my pretty and colorful pillows, I shared with you here. Love pillows.
So, I decided to take matters in my own hands and learn how to sew. I am not planning on sewing jeans or shirts (like my talented friend), but a couple of pillow covers, table runners and garlands are definitely on my agenda.

My dear friend, Johanna, took some time a while ago to show me how to use a sewing machine. We made these pillows for my munchkin's room. She has a Bernina sewing machine. Do you know Bernina? Well, I had no idea what it was, but after sewing on it and reading about it, I would say the Bernina is the Rolls Royce of sewing machines. It is an incredible machine and I was very lucky to learn to sew on it. The Bernina sewing machine are quite pricey, prices are between $400-$2000. Great thing about them- it has lasted my friend some 20 years, and she has been really using it. Definitely out of my price range.
So, after a couple of times of sewing with my friend, I decided I was going to look for one. Since, I am a beginner, I didn't need or want something extravagant. My friend suggested one with a couple of basic stitches and so I headed to Walmart and found my match. There were some Brother and Singer sewing machines. I wanted basic and with Martha's approval and recommendation (Martha Stewart that is, for which she was paid handsomely), I bought a Singer sewing machine.


I love it. In some ways it is very similar to the Bernina, but I am not sure whether most sewing machines are built the same way. I put it together, even watched the video, but one thing I couldn't figure out was the automatic needle threader. I gave up after about an hour. Overall, I am quite thrilled with it. It is very basic, but it is all I need for now. I am still learning and getting used to it, but I don't regret my purchase at all. It works well and I am sure that for the money that I spent on it, it is worth it. My husband is even happy, because fabric was collecting in our small apartment and taking over the closet. That's right, fabric and not my clothes. But there are enough of those too.

So, here is my new Singer. I have a lot of project ideas and lots of fabric, I just don't have so much time to make them with a toddler around. I have ordered some more fabric from tonicliving, so will keep you posted when I get around to finishing some pillows.

Stay tuned tomorrow for a special guest post from one of my favorite bloggers.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...