Monday 16 January 2012

Extending the Shelf life

Good day all! Hope you are all doing well. Last week, I received a very unexpected, but interesting email, which changed my plans a bit and kept me away from here. Therefore it was quite an exciting and busy week, but now things are calming down around here. Will share more details soon.

In my last post, I shared the gallery wall in my son's room with you and now I will share the picture ledge how-to. First off, I have to say that I absolutely love ledges and think they are the perfect addition to any room. And in this case, it was great to prevent my two year old from reaching and grabbing the pictures on the wall.
IKEA sells a ledge and we even have a few, but the depth of the ledge is about 3 inches, more than I wanted for this project.  So, off to diy one. And the great thing about making your own picture ledge, is that you can customize it to whatever length and depth you want your ledge to be.

What you need:

- 1" x 1.5" x 8 ft piece of wood (pine); piece of wood molding - 1.5" high x 8 ft long;
- wood glue, clamps, white paint + primer

How-to:

Glue the piece of molding to the short edge of the 1" x 1.5" piece along the entire length. The beveled edge of the molding rests above the edge of the other piece of wood to create the edge that your pictures will rest against.
You will need clamps to hold these pieces together along the length to ensure that a good tight fit is achieved.
Once the glue had set, I even banged a few small nails into the molding, to hold them together. I then primed and painted the whole thing white. I used some 90 degree angle screw plates to attach the ledge to the wall (leveled with drywall anchors). 
So, I created a ledge of just the right size for the layout of the gallery wall without too much effort. I hope you like the ledge and maybe you would even consider trying it.

Have a great weekend everyone! 
B

2 comments:

  1. Nice ledge! As for your mystery email - hmmm...sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ledges and I'm very happy to now know how to make my own. Thanks for the tutorial Beatrice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...